You will need an Ultra Mobile SIM card and an unlocked GSM phone to proceed. Ultra Mobile has two types of SIM cards.
- Regular SIM card (purple). Requires payment for the first month of service in advance
- Preloaded SIM card (orange). Equipped with the first month of service. No required payment upon activation.
Each SIM card is activated differently. The preloaded SIM card is faster because it comes equipped with the first month of service and payment is not due until the next month.
Does Ultra Mobile charge an activation fee?
- Ultra Mobile does not charge an activation fee; however, some retailers do. You can avoid paying an activation fee by activating your SIM card on Ultra Mobile’s website or by calling 1 (888) 777-0446.
Activate Ultra Mobile Purple SIM card
You will have the option to get a new number or port (transfer) your existing number at a later step in the activation.
1. Visit Ultra Mobile’s activation page
Start by visiting https://my.ultramobile.com/activation, and choose the purple SIM card option.
2. Locate the 19-digit ICCID number
The ICCID number is located on the back of the SIM card, just below the barcode. Enter that number in the ICCID input field and hit the “Start or Resume your Activation” button.
3. Transfer or get a new number
On the next page, you will have the option to activate your Ultra Mobile SIM card on a new number or transfer your existing number. Preparation is key for this step, so you will need your account number and password before continuing.
4. Select a monthly plan
Ultra Mobile monthly plans range from $15 to $49. Ultra Mobile does not have pay-as-you-go plans; however, prices and plan features change frequently.
5. Choose your area code
Your area code is based on the zip code you provide. For example, if you want a 599 area code, enter a zip code within the 559 area (entering 93257 results in a 559 area code).
6. Pay for your first month of service
Since you are activating a purple SIM card, a credit card is needed to activate the Ultra Mobile SIM card successfully. You pay for each month in advance.
Finally, the last step is to program your APN data settings so you can access the internet (it is not as complicated as it might sound).
Activate Ultra Mobile Orange SIM card
Activating a preloaded SIM card is simple because the first month of service is included and no payment is required during the activation.
Orange SIM cards are usually sold at a discounted price of up to 80% off. These discounted SIM cards are great for anyone wanting to get a deal or try out the service.
The steps for activating an Orange Ultra Mobile SIM card are as follows:
1. Choose the Orange SIM option
Just like the purple SIM card, go to https://my.ultramobile.com/activation and select the orange SIM card option.
2. Find the Act Code
On the back of the SIM card, you will see a faded area. Scratch the faded area to reveal the code, enter it in the activation input field, and hit “Start or Resume Activation.”
3. Choose your Ultra Mobile area code
On the next page, enter your zip code. Providing your zip code determines your area code, so make sure you use a zip code that is within the area code of your choice.
For example, zip code 93256 will generate a 559 area code and a 93215 zip code will generate a 661 area code.
Programming the data settings is a breeze! Scroll down to learn more.
Activating Orange SIM over the phone
Alternatively, you can activate your orange SIM card using the phone system.
- Dial 888-899-0820
- When prompted, enter your Act Code located on the back of the SIM card
- When prompted, enter your zip code. Your area code will be based on the zip code you provide.
- Write down your phone number
- Insert the SIM card in the SIM slot
- Program data settings (This option applies to T-mobile and unlocked GSM phones only)
In some situations, the activation process may take up to 30 minutes. In such a rare situation, hang up the phone and insert your SIM card in the SIM slot. Restart your phone and wait for a confirmation message.
Preloaded SIM card FAQs
Can I activate a preloaded SIM for the same number if I am already a customer with Ultra Mobile?
Ultra Mobile does not allow existing customers to transfer their phone numbers to a preloaded SIM card. Ultra Mobile (and other service providers) have preloaded SIM cards to attract new customers.
What if I’m with a different carrier and I want to switch to Ultra Mobile? Can I transfer my number if I want to use a preloaded SIM card?
According to an Ultra Mobile representative, transferring your non-Ultra Mobile phone number to a preloaded Ultra Mobile SIM card is possible.
Program Ultra Mobile Data Settings
Ultra Mobile has made it easy to program your device's data and MMS (APN) settings.
They have a tool on their website that does all the heavy lifting for you, but some phones need to be compatible to use this tool.
Follow the steps to program your APN settings automatically.
- Go to https://ultramobile.com/data-settings
- Enter your phone's IMEI number. Dial *#06# on your phone keypad, and your IMEI number will display on the screen.
- Choose your platform, Andriod, IOS, or Other.
- Enter your phone number. You should receive a text message with a link to an app. Click the link and download the app. Follow the in-app instructions.
If your phone does not support automatic settings, you need to program the APN settings manually, but don't let that scare you; it's straightforward.
Follow the following steps to program your APN settings manually.
- Go to https://ultramobile.com/data-settings
- Enter your device’s IMEI number (dial *#06# on your phone’s keypad to retrieve your phone’s IMEI number)
- Navigate to your phone’s APN settings.
- Enter the required information in the appropriate fields.
Transfer Number to Ultra Mobile (port)
Before transferring or porting your number to Ultra Mobile, get your account information from your current service provider.
Important! Don’t cancel your service until the transfer is complete. Doing so results in a failed port, so only cancel your old phone service once the transfer is complete. That is a common reason phone number ports fail.
The information needed to transfer your phone number to Ultra Mobile depends on your service type.
The following information is what you need if you are on a prepaid plan:
- Account number
- Account password
- Phone number
Call your current service provider to get this information and to transfer and activate your Ultra Mobile SIM card successfully.
Information such as your first name, last name, and address is only optional.
If you are on a contract, you will need the following:
- First and last name
- Account passcode
- Phone number
- Social security number
The easiest way to get your information is by calling your service provider. Once the information is ready, you can transfer your number to Ultra Mobile.
To ensure a timely transfer of your existing number to Ultra Mobile, all the information you provide must be correct. The information you provide is verified, and any mismatch will result in a failed transfer. Failed transfers are resolved by providing accurate information.
The information needed to port a phone number to another carrier applies to all activations, whether online, over the phone, or at a retail location.
Ultra Mobile compatible phones
T-Mobile branded or GSM unlocked cell phones will work on any Ultra Mobile plan.
Also, carrier-locked GSM cell phones are used for just talking and texting. Consequently, the data will not work unless the phone is unlocked or T-mobile branded.